Whimsical Sasano-Bori Birds
$45 – $125
Free shipping & returns in the US. Learn More
- The Japanese art of Sasano-Bori wood carving has been a tradition for over a thousand years. It requires the use of very fine chisels on wood from only two particular types of tree deemed strong enough to support the delicate shaved “feathers” of each figure. We offer a selection of whimsical vintage birds from hawks to owls. Each is a textbook lesson in the art of the handmade – obsessively carved, delicately painted and signed by hand. Vintage artisan finds from our cabinet of curiosities. No two alike.
- Large grey owl – 8.5”H
- Medium grey owl – 5.75”H
- Small grey owl – 3.5”H
- Giant grey falcon - 12”H
- Large red/green falcon – 8.25”H
- Medium grey falcon – 6.25”H
- Medium brown/yellow falcon – 6.25”H
- Medium red/aqua falcon – 6.25”H
- Medium red/green falcon – 6.25”H
- Painted wood. Made in Japan.
- Vintage and artisan-made pieces may contain slight irregularities and imperfections denoting the presence of the artist's hand and/or the passing of time.